7/20/2008

Dark Horse Teenage gets His chance to go to the Olympics in Shooting

The headline in the Boston Globe caught my attention: "How a gun-hating family from Billerica produced an Olympic shooter."

Stephen Scherer fired his final shot at the Olympic trials in March, lowered his rifle, and smiled. There was no fist pumping, no chest thumping when he won the 10-meter air rifle competition and a berth on the US Olympic team bound for Beijing. Just a shy, slightly self-conscious smile. It was the first and only emotion Scherer showed during three pressure-packed days in Colorado Springs. He was as composed in victory as he had been throughout the best shooting performance of his life. Or perhaps he was in shock. Scherer had had no expectation of making the Olympic team, not as a 19-year-old with a lot still to learn about the sport. He figured the Olympic trials would offer good preparation for representing West Point - where he is going to be a sophomore - at the NCAA riflery championships a couple of weeks later.

"I probably surprised myself more than anybody else there," says Scherer. "Shooting is a very mental sport. A lot of times, it doesn't sink in that you've won until after, because you're so concentrated on the shooting." . . . .

"I was very anti-gun when my kids were little. I always thought, `Guns are bad. Guns kill people.' So, I didn't want my kids to have anything to do with guns." . . .

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home