8/20/2012

Washington Post Blog nails Obama on false statements during his press conference today

From the Washington Post:
“I don’t think that Gov. Romney is somehow responsible for the death of the woman who is portrayed in that ad,” the president told the White House press corps when asked about a controversial ad . . . . ”But keep in mind this is an ad that I didn’t approve, I did not produce, and as far as I can tell, has barely run.”
The man featured in the ad has also appeared on an Obama campaign conference call, but Obama’s team has denied knowledge of his story.
Obama also distanced himself from criticism of Mitt Romney’s record at Bain Capital, saying, “Nobody accused Romney of being a felon.” Obama deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter suggested earlier this year that the Republican nominee “may have committed a felony.”
Possibly the piece could have made it clear that the Obama campaign conference call mentioned the same claims that were in the disputed campaign ad.  Yahoo News has this:
"I don't know the facts about when Mr. Soptic's wife got sick, or the facts about his health insurance," deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter told CNN on Wednesday. 
But there's a problem. As Politico first reported, Soptic told essentially the same story in a May 14, 2012, conference call hosted by the Obama campaign. Here's what he said then, according to a partial recording of the call passed along by a Republican official:
"After we lost our jobs, we found out that we were going to lose our health insurance, and that our pensions hadn't been funded like Bain promised they would be. I was lucky to find another job as a custodian in a local school district. They gave me some health insurance, but I couldn't afford to buy it for my wife. A little while later she was diagnosed with lung cancer. I had to put her in a county hospital because she didn't have health care, and when the cancer took her away, all I got was an enormous bill. That put a lot of stress on me: I thought I'd be paying it off until I died myself. That probably wouldn't have happened if Bain kept its promise and I was allowed to keep our health insurance. . . ." 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home