Supposedly Obama signed pledge for Democratic Socialists of America in 1995, received group's endorsement when he ran for state Senate
Barack Obama was an active participant in the 1990s, and a direct political beneficiary, of the Chicago New Party and, importantly, the Chicago DSA, a group of socialists affiliated with the Democratic Socialists of America.
1) Barack Obama attended and participated in meetings of the Chicago New Party and the Chicago DSA, the local affiliate of the Democratic Socialists of America.
2) Barack Obama sought the endorsement of the Chicago DSA which required rigorous scrutiny by the party’s Political Committee as well as Mr. Obama’s signature on a contract promising “a visible and active relationship with the NP.”
3) Barack Obama actively used the endorsement from the Chicago DSA.
4) Barack Obama won his DSA-endorsed and -backed campaign to secure his seat in the Illinois State Senate.
5) Barack Obama continued his involvement with the Chicago DSA — including directly asking the group to join “his task forces on Voter Education and Voter Registration” — and received their endorsements in subsequent campaigns.
I have no independent verification of this being true, though whether this particular story is true, Obama is a very socialistic person.