7/31/2008

Movie: Swing Vote

I got to see a preview of the new movie Swing Vote last night. Grover Norquist put on the event. It was fun. Got to meet Tom DeLay for the first time and a few other interesting people. In any case, the movie was just OK. Some funny lines and some attempt at balance, but there was just too much: people need help and the government has to help them. Whether the issue was health care or something else, the answer always seemed to be the same, more government. The first 10 to 15 minutes of the movie was pretty biased, but it leveled off for a while after that. Overall, though, the message of government just came through much too much for me. The person whom I went with to the movie liked it more than I did, but when I explained my objection they agreed with me. The movie's notion of balance at one point was to have My advice is not to go. Possibly catch it when it comes out on DVD.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Junkyard Sam said...

Your 3rd to last sentence is cut off. Curious to hear the rest...

Grover Norquist is a real piece of work. He's famous in my circle for saying “My goal is to cut government... to get it down to the size where we can drown it in the bathtub."

So his goal is to destroy "The Government" (which you and I actually have a say in) so the giant multinational monopolies of the day can run everything.

Been to the DMV lately? It actually runs pretty well. Or how about Social Security which runs at just a 2% overhead!

I wish my insurance company was run so well... My insurance CEO took home billions, meanwhile we're still fighting to get my wife's childbirth from last year paid for... (I thought the $1014 a month my company pays for that would cover it, but apparently that money went to the CEO salary.)

nice.

8/01/2008 4:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"My insurance CEO took home billions,..."

B.S.

The DMV and Social Security are both run horribly. Social Security does not run on 2% overhead.

The overhead costs involved in collection and disbursement of Social Security funds are more than 60% of the benefits from the scheme. Collection costs include cost due to the loss of working hours and the negative impact on economic production. Disbursement involves the cost of telephone calls made by the public on the toll-free number of the Social Security Administration and the disincentive to work.

I know what you're thinking. La la la la hopey changey!

Your health insurance plan is a contract. Like any other contract, its provisions define the relationship between you and your insurer. You thought the childbirth was covered? Why? Read much?

Yeah, that $1,014 per month your company pays would be better spent on government bureaucratic waste caused by the lack of market incentives to be efficient.

8/01/2008 8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw it. It made my head move around in different directions.

I wrote a review of it on my website everyday yeah. Everyday yeah is updated everyday with a new picture and story. There also many movie reviews.
The End
Terminator Salvation!

8/03/2008 9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home