5/15/2007

Ohio State Legislator who opposed the right-to-carry law changes his mind

It is like clockwork how those who feared that the concealed handgun permit holders would be the danger change their minds within a couple of years. It is simply hard to ignore how law-abiding those people are. In addition, this experience just confirms the polling data that i have seen about how being a victim of crime (or in this case an almost victim of crime) causes people to want to own a gun.

DeBose voted his conscience. He feared that CCW permits would lead to a massive influx of new guns in the streets and a jump in gun violence. He feared that Cleveland would become the O.K. Corral, patrolled by legions of freshly minted permit holders.

"I was wrong," he said Friday.

"I'm going to get a permit and so is my wife.

"I've changed my mind. You need a way to protect yourself and your family.

"I don't want to hurt anyone. But I never again want to be in the position where I'm approached by someone with a gun and I don't have one."

DeBose said he knows that a gun doesn't solve Cleveland's violence problem; it's merely a street equalizer.

"There are too many people who are just evil and mean-spirited. They will hurt you for no reason. If more people were packing guns, it might serve as a deterrent. . . . .

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing that this man could not grasp the basic premise of self defense until he was forced to flee screaming from assaulters?

To my mind that calls his integrity And intelligence into question. How much concern can he have for his fellow man when his conscience is only rectified by suffering the things he has voted upon his constituents?

While I am glad he now sees the light, I would still never trust him to have my back. He is a coward on all levels. One who had no consideration or concern for other innocents, despite the overwhelming evidence, until he, himself, had nearly suffered the fate he had previously deemed appropriate for others.

I would hope his wife and children are ashamed of him.

5/16/2007 12:53 AM  
Blogger John Lott said...

Dear straightarrow:

Please be generous. Isn't it enough that you have a politician who strongly fought against the bill coming out and saying that he made a mistake? Don't you think that is worth a lot? I do.

5/16/2007 7:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How does that saying go? A Liberal is someone who hasn't been mugged yet?

5/16/2007 11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home