4/20/2007

82 year old woman stops intruder with her gun: "She had to balance on her walker as she pulled out a snub-nosed .38-caliber handgun."

WAYNESBURG, Ky. — Miss America 1944 has a talent that likely has never appeared on a beauty pageant stage: She fired a handgun to shoot out a vehicle's tires and stop an intruder.

Venus Ramey, 82, confronted a man on her farm in south-central Kentucky last week after she saw her dog run into a storage building where thieves had previously made off with old farm equipment.

Ramey said the man told her he would leave. "I said, 'Oh, no you won't,' and I shot their tires so they couldn't leave," Ramey said.

She had to balance on her walker as she pulled out a snub-nosed .38-caliber handgun.

"I didn't even think twice. I just went and did it," she said. "If they'd even dared come close to me, they'd be 6 feet under by now."

Ramey then flagged down a passing motorist, who called 911.

Curtis Parrish of Ohio was charged with misdemeanor trespassing, Deputy Dan Gilliam said. The man's hometown wasn't immediately available. Three other people were questioned but were not arrested. . . .

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Chronicler of Unemployed said...

If she had killed the robber in this incident, she would be charged with murder. He was in his car, driving away when she shot. She aimed at the tires, but if she had aimed at him and killed him, it would have been in cold blood. She was not in danger of being killed because he was leaving. If she shot and killed the intruder she would be charged for murder. I geuss she got lucky.

4/24/2007 6:01 PM  
Blogger iloilo jones said...

I guess she did not get lucky.
I guess she knew where she was aiming.
I guess, as with any sensible person who knows how to use good tools, she practices and hits where she aims.
Good for her.
I am a grandmother, and I practice weekly.
And I hope you do to, so you will not need to rely on luck.
ilo

9/03/2008 10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home