11/11/2014

Obamacare architect openly talks about how Democrats lied to voters about what was in the Obamacare bill


Jonathan Gruber: This bill was written in a tortured way to make sure that CBO did not score the mandate as taxes.  Score the mandate as taxes and the bill dies.  OK, so it was written to do that.  . . .
Lack of transparency is a huge political advantage.  Call it the stupidity of the American voter or whatever. But basically that was really, really critical to getting the thing to pass.
And you know it is a second best argument.  Look, I wish Mark was right we could make it all transparent, but I would rather have this law than not. . . .
Certainly there is voter ignorance, but Gruber's admission that they purposely hid information from voters is maddening.  Sometime voters are wrong, though Gruber seems to think that is the common state of things, but in this case I believe that voters were smarter than this economist.  But the open lying about what was in the bill is amazing.

For more on Jonathan Gruber see these posts.

UPDATE: Jon Gruber now says that he just misspoke when he made the above comments.
"The comments in the video were made at an academic conference," Gruber said on "Ronan Farrow Daily." "I was speaking off the cuff. I basically spoke inappropriately. I regret having made those comments." . . .  
On Tuesday, Gruber said he only meant that much of ObamaCare's financing was done through the tax code, calling that more "politically palatable" than other means.
"That was the only point I was making," he said. . . . .
People can watch the above video themselves and judge whether Gruber simply wasn't speaking clearly. 

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

I think you are putting words in his mouth. His quote does not imply he misspoke.

"The comments in the video were made at an academic conference," He was trying to show he is smarter then everyone else in the room.

"I was speaking off the cuff." Ok, people tend to be more honest than when they can plan ahead of time.

I basically spoke inappropriately." Yes, calling the American people stupid is inappropriate.

"I regret having made those comments." I'm sure he does. He let the cat out of the bag.

Nothing here implies he misspoke. he just regrets his moment of candor.

11/22/2014 12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home