Indiana homeowner defends himself against three people who broke into his home
Three young men are on trial due to the shooting death of Danzele Johnson. In Elkhart Circuit Court today, jurors heard from the man who pulled the trigger.
Rodney Scott recounted what happened Oct. 3, 2012, at 1919 Frances Ave., Elkhart. He fired several shots after intruders broke into his home. Johnson, a 21-year-old Goshen resident, was killed. Blake Layman, 17, Elkhart, was shot in the leg.
Prosecutors say Anthony Perez Sharp Jr., 19, Goshen, Jose Quiroz, 17, and Layman also entered the home while Levi Sparks, 18, Elkhart, served as a lookout outside. The three have been charged with felony murder. Under Indiana law, if someone dies during the commission of a felony, those who were engaged in the underlying felony can be carged in the person’s death. . . .
“As soon as I sat up on the side of the bed, there was this ‘boom!’ and my whole house just shook,” he said. A second or two later Scott heard the noise again — and then heard it a third time.
“And I said, ‘My goodness,’” Scott recalled.
Scott told the jury his next-door neighbor’s home had been broken into a week or two prior. He’d picked up his cell phone when he heard the noises in his home. Scott loaded his .9mm handgun — which he testified he’d never fired before — and went downstairs.
Scott walked quietly at first, then ran down the last set of steps to make a lot of noise. Downstairs, he saw someone run from the kitchen. He also saw two people — later determined to be Johnson and Quiroz — in the doorway of the bedroom.
“You see all these people in your house, you don’t know what’s going to happen to you,” he said. . . .