6/14/2013

With six month anniversary of Newtown, Obama and Bloomberg continue major push for more gun control, but no explanation for how the law would have stopped that attack

info@barackobama.com sent out the following email today in support of the passing background checks.
My mom, Dawn Hochsprung, was the principal at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.

Six months ago today, she was shot and killed in her school, along with five of her coworkers and 20 of her students.

In the weeks and months after that horrible day, lawmakers from across the country told us, the families of the victims, that they'd take action to make our communities safer. What we found out is that, for some of our members of Congress, those were empty promises.

And in those six months, thousands more people have been killed by guns.

I've been doing everything I can to reach out to members of Congress. But my voice isn't enough. Today, on the six-month anniversary of Newtown, every single person who cares about reducing gun violence in America needs to recommit to this fight.
In her last minutes, Mom was just as brave and caring as I knew her to be. After telling everyone to hide, she went running into the hallway, saw the gunman, yelled and lunged at him in an effort to protect the school she loved.

I miss her every second of every day. I'm getting married in just a few weeks -- to a guy she was rooting for, in a dress we picked out together -- but because a dangerous man got his hands on a gun, my mom won't be there to see it.

I'm still grieving -- and I'm not alone. On average, 33 Americans are killed by a gun every single day. That's 33 new families a day who mourn like I do.

If a background check saves even one life, and keeps even one family from hurting like this, then this fight will all be worth it. I think my mom would like to know that the tragedy that fell on Newtown meant that another tragedy could be stopped before it even started.

I'm asking you to join me today, six months after that horrible day, to keep this fight going -- take action for my mom, Dawn, and the 25 other people who we lost in December.
What does Newtown have to have with background checks?  No notion of how these laws would increase crime.  Again, Obama is making the argument that if one life is saved to justify this law, but the real question is the net effect effect it has on crime.

And from Bloomberg:
Mayors Against Illegal Guns will launch a bus tour that will travel to 25 states over 100 days to build support for background checks legislation. Legislation to expand background checks for gun buyers failed in the Senate in April.
The mayors group is also holding events in 10 states calling for lawmakers to expand background checks and urging senators who opposed the bill to reconsider. Those events, which include gun violence survivors and gun owners, will be held in Arkansas, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Montana, North Carolina, New Hampshire, Ohio and Pennsylvania. . . . 
 

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I've been following this gun grabbing business pretty steadily for the last 6 months. I guess they attacked gun rights in the same way after school shootings in the UK and Australia. I can't imagine how I would feel if I were in California, New York, Colorado, and all the rest of the states with Democrat controlled state governments. Or, in countries like the UK. If the US elects another "progressive" Democrat in 2016 (can you even imagine Clinton?)I've got to move to another country. Any suggestions?
Molen Labe!

6/14/2013 10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only does she not bother to ask how expanded background checks or other restrictions proposed on the constitutionally guaranteed rights of law-abiding citizens might have prevented these killings, but she also declines to consider how things might have turned out differently had her mother been allowed to do more than simply yelling and lunging at the deranged murdered in an effort to protect the school she loved.

6/16/2013 1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home