Here are two stunning figures from the liberal Urban Institute. If someone is facing anywhere near a 100% marginal tax rate, would they actually go out and work harder? There is in fact a wide range of income for this hypothetical family with two children where the effective marginal income tax rate is above 80% for the range of income from about $15,000 to over $40,000. The effect on people's incentives to escape poverty is obvious.
- Name: John Lott
- Location: Virginia, United States
Amazed how lucky I am that I have had jobs where I could just think about whatever I wanted to think about. I have published over 90 articles in academic journals. I received my Ph.D. in economics from UCLA in 1984.
Copyright 2005 by John R. Lott, Jr. All rights reserved
More Books of Mine
Reviews of Freedomnomics
Other Web sites
- The lost last four years
- Percent of NYC's adult population with handgun per...
- New York Time's public editor: fellow staffers "sh...
- Notes on Empire State Building shooting
- Norwegian sentences Anders Behring Breivik to pris...
- "Publicly Held Debt Set to Skyrocket"
- Fast & Furious BATF Officials getting two paycheck...
- Another way that we are becoming more like Europe:...
- Walter Williams' Roast from 2003
- Obama lawlessness: "Immigration agents file suit a...
Interesting Past Topics
(description of book, downloadable data sets, and discussions of previous controversies)