Eric Zorn's "Five Reasons concealed-carry backers in Springfield are optimistic . . ."
Is this the year when Illinois becomes the last of the 50 states to allow adults to carry firearms in most public settings?
Supporters of the idea are optimistic. Legislation moving through the General Assembly calls for sheriff's departments to issue licenses to qualifying citizens permitting them to carry concealed guns, and backers offer five reasons why prospects for this perennial idea have never been better.
1. The tide of history . . .
2. The lesson of history . . .
3. A wink from the U.S. Supreme Court . . .
4. Law enforcement's lowered resistance . . .
5. The downstate natives are restless . . .