2/01/2011

My newest Fox News piece: "My Scary Encounter With Chicago's Mayor Richard Daley"

My newest piece starts this way:

Chicago-style politics is infamous for kickbacks, dead people voting, and thuggery. Alas, it is not just a relic of the past. In fact, witness recent stories of Chicago city workers being hired or promoted based on how well they got voters to the polls and not how well they did their official jobs, children getting admitted to prestigious city schools based on political connections, and the granting of city contracts.
Unfortunately, I know first hand more than I would like about Chicago politics. A decade ago, I was working at the University of Chicago Law School as an Olin Fellow, doing research and some teaching, when I happened to cross paths with Mayor Richard Daley. As he is now about to retire from office, it is time for the facts to come out.
As the author of the book "More Guns, Less Crime" and someone living and working on Daley's home turf in Chicago, I was not one of his favorite people. . . .

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Cory Brickner said...

Wow! Incredible, however not at all surprising. They are the protected class. They run the show. And you present a perfect example of how they are criminals.

2/01/2011 4:12 PM  
Blogger Rail Claimore said...

While I never had an experience like this, your article highlights a big reason for me having no regrets about leaving the city. There's too much clout culture and no room for debate.

2/01/2011 4:26 PM  
Blogger loves2spin said...

That's really scary.

2/01/2011 6:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It looks like you were subjected to the same press treatment that John Lennon was subjected to over his, "We're more popular than Jesus" remark. It all depends upon the particular press's agenda as to how one appears to the public.

2/01/2011 7:20 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Really a screwed up story, but I believe one that goes directly to the character of Daley. Are you familiar with his illegal actions to destroy Meigs Field? If not, that offers other examples of his outrageous and unaccountable behavior.

2/01/2011 9:01 PM  
Blogger piperfromtn said...

I have experienced intimidation as a public school teacher too. I was a single father with custody of 4 children at the time.

I was told by a guidance counselor not to teach the Bill of Rights because I overemphasized the 2nd amendment.

I was also intimidated by an assistant Principal not to give my opinions in class (which I didn't anyway).

Both ended up leaving the school, and thankfully I'm still here. There are other trouble makers who would like to see me gone but it's difficult to do that because I'm tenured now. I love my kids that I teach and I still don't tote the polemic of indoctrination.

2/02/2011 9:13 AM  
Blogger Schicklegroover said...

Thank you for getting this out to the public. I am a Chicago Police Officer and have witnessed tactics like this too many times to recount. Attempting to do something about it only resulted in making me the victim of the same tactics! My naive attempts to enlist the aid of the mainstream media in situations like this backfired both times. I use other methods now.

2/06/2011 12:42 PM  
Blogger John Lott said...

Thanks for the comments. Thanks, Schicklegroover.

2/07/2011 11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home