1/25/2009

Montana Legislation put forward to make all of the state like Alaska and Vermont

In virtually all of Montana one is allowed to carry a concealed handgun without a permit (essentially over 98 percent of the case). This legislation would make it true in the other 2 percent. Law-enforcement is upset about the Castle Doctrine provisions.

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Krayton Kerns, R-Laurel, is almost identical to a bill carried by then-Rep. Jack Wells, R-Bozeman, in the 2007 session.

If passed, the bill would, among other things:

= allow people to carry a concealed weapon without a permit;

= greatly strengthen self-defense protections in the state;

= allow people to display their gun to deter an attack;

= allow people to use a gun whenever at risk of physical harm;

= and, in shooting incidents in which the person who fired the gun claimed self defense, require the state to prove that it was not. . . . .

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike Gallo said...

I have my reservations about lowering the legal standard for a self-defense shooting, though I'm not sure that I disagree with the exhibition language (you may display a gun to discourage harm). Unfortunately, prosecutorial discretion isn't worth much in most parts of the country these days, and I can certainly understand that removing that from the equation is a good safeguard against people's right to defend themselves without fear of prosecution.

1/27/2009 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home