Houston Homeowner is cleared in a defensive gun use case
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A homeowner who shot and killed a man breaking into his home was no billed by a Harris County grand jury Wednesday.
Last December, Damon Barone, his wife, six-year-old son and baby were at home when he heard the sounds of someone breaking in. He says he grabbed his gun.
"While it was happening, I felt like I needed to protect my family. I was more so worried about their safety over being scared or nervous," Barone told Eyewitness News last year.
When Barone saw a man who investigators later determined was Steven Dunbar, 44, coming through the window, the homeowner shot the intruder.
It turned out Dunbar had a lengthy criminal record.
Barone said at the time of the incident he'll never feel guilty for what he did, only sorry that there is now a family elsewhere that is grieving because their loved one tried to enter someone else's home.