6/29/2008

Quote from Chicago Area on Supreme Court case

The Chicago Tribune has this quote from someone who is happy about the Supreme Court decision this past week.

Hale DeMar of Wilmette gained notoriety four years ago when he shot a burglar in his home and was cited with violating the village's gun ownership ban. The case was resolved when the state passed a law enabling courts to ignore local gun ordinances in cases where the weapon was used in self-defense.

"I understand the politics of it, but as a parent of two small children who was faced with that situation, I was glad to have the handgun in my house. I would do it again," DeMar said Thursday. The burglar "weighed more than 200 pounds. I'm a 60-year-old guy and I weigh 140 pounds. What am I going to do? Argue with the guy?"


As a state senator, Obama voted against a popular bi-partisan bill that would have prohibited prosecution of otherwise law-abiding citizens, such as DeMar, for violating local gun prohibition ordinances in Illinois if the gun was used to stop a home invasion by violent criminals.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obama's vote doesn't surprise me one bit. As an Illinois resident, this is especially disturbing.

6/29/2008 6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder how Obama squares this part of his voting record with his latest pronouncements on the heller decision. I doubt he'll offer an explanation and I further doubt any of the MSM will ask for one.

6/30/2008 12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home