10/31/2006

Do the Democrats think that voters agree with them?

Apparently not. Can't Pelosi even take a stand on a windfall profits tax on oil companies? She could a year ago (see below). What is she afraid of now? I really wish that Kudlow would have nailed her by being able to reference her own previous statement.

Stephen Moore sent this out as part of his posting on OpinionJournal.com:

KUDLOW: [Are you for] a windfall profits tax on oil companies?
Rep. PELOSI: Oh, well...I'm not -- you won't find me friendly to that.
KUDLOW: All right. You are against the windfall profits tax?
Rep. PELOSI: Yes, I am.
KUDLOW: Oh, OK. I'm not sure a lot of people know that. Thank you for that....
Rep. PELOSI: Oh, not the tax. I'm against the windfall profit.
KUDLOW: You're opposed to the so-called windfall profits on oil.
Rep. PELOSI: Opposed to the windfall profits.
KUDLOW: So you would favor a tax?
Rep. PELOSI: Yes, I would favor something that was shaped in a way that did what it needed to do. And that is, we've got to -- we have to have energy independence in our country. We don't have to have excessive profits for the oil industry.


Now compare that with another statement by her that I found here:

CQ Transcriptions

November 10, 2005 Thursday

TYPE: NEWS CONFERENCE

LENGTH: 2566 words

HEADLINE: U.S. REPRESENTATIVE NANCY PELOSI (D-CA) HOLDS WEEKLY NEWS CONFERENCE

SPEAKER:
U.S. REPRESENTATIVE NANCY PELOSI (D-CA), HOUSE MINORITY LEADER

BODY:
. . .
QUESTION: Do you have any comment on a bill just introduced by Representatives Markey and Emanuel introducing a windfall profits tax on oil companies and funneling that revenue into LIHEAP?

PELOSI: I fully support a windfall profits tax, I am speaking for myself personally, but I know I represent the feeling of many in our Caucus. The windfall tax is in place when a price of oil gets into a certain place, the profits beyond that are called the windfall profits, and they should be taxed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home