9/25/2006

A Professor addresses issue of students carrying guns on campus

As a professor, I do not relish the thought of teaching a group of armed students. I am not afraid, however, when I hunt with friends or travel with my sister, who has a concealed carry permit. On the contrary, I feel safe. Should I feel differently if those students were law-abiding citizens who understood firearm safety?

I am also aware that a student, or any other person, who wanted to do me harm would simply ignore Roanoke College's prohibition against carrying firearms on campus. There have been several instances nationwide in the past decade of disgruntled students shooting professors. By definition, criminals do not obey the law.

The prohibition against firearms on campus enforced by many colleges is designed to prevent accidental shootings. I have no doubt that some are prevented. We should also ask, though, if any crimes might be prevented if licensed students were allowed to carry. For example, would any rapes be deterred if assailants thought their victim might be armed?

Finally, we need to remember that those same students who are prevented from carrying on campus may carry in downtown Blacksburg, Salem or any other municipality. If they live off-campus, then they could have the firearms stored in their residence.

3 Comments:

Blogger John Lott said...

I think that you are misinterpreting what the author wrote. I think that he is much more sympathetic than you realize. He may care about what makes people safe as his bottom line (and I think that is the bottom line for most people), but he comes to a similar conclusion as you.

9/25/2006 3:30 AM  
Blogger EclectEcon said...

After the shootings at Dawson College in Montreal a couple of weeks ago, I asked the students in my class of 400 intro students if any of them had licenses or permits to carry concealed weapons. When none of them raised their hands, I then asked whether we might be safer if a few of them did. You could see the lights turning on.

9/25/2006 12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

EclectEcon - If one of my professors asked my class that question, you can bet I would not raise my hand. Between getting flak from other students, and facing the possibility of an anti-gun professor, I'd rather not "out" myself. Besides, we're supposed to be discrete so that the criminals don't know who to attack, right? ;)

At best if I were one of your students, I would talk to you after or e-mail you, and say that I had a CCW permit. But never in front of that many people.

9/26/2006 2:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home