In a dramatic override of Governor Blagojevich's veto, Illinois house members easily overrode his veto of a bill that protects Illinoisians who violate local gun ban ordinances from prosecution when they use a gun defensively by and 85 to 30 vote. "The bill's supporters saw it as a statement of support for the basic concept that people should be able to defend themselves in their own homes. Opponents viewed it as an attempt to undercut local gun laws."
- Name: John Lott
- Location: Virginia, United States
My commentary on a broad array of economics and crime related issues.
Crime Prevention Research Center
Copyright 2005 by John R. Lott, Jr. All rights reserved
More Books of Mine
Reviews of Freedomnomics
Other Web sites
- More on the delay in confirming judges
- "Republicans Outnumbered in Academia, Studies Find...
- So how difficult has it gotten to confirm judges?
- What is the future for the DC gun ban
- Some Employers in Oklahoma are trying to change la...
- Australians are now banning those ever extremely d...
- Illinois State Senate overrides Governor's veto on...
- The rise of Assault Knives
- John Fund on the Voting Process in New Mexico:
- More on Liberals Reaction to Republican Victories
Interesting Past Topics
(description of book, downloadable data sets, and discussions of previous controversies)