U.K. authorities had refused to give child medical treatment he needs, parents take child out of country, UK seek extradition to force family back to country

Socialized medical system in the UK can't give a young boy suffering a brain tumor the specialized medical treatment he needs.  So the family, trying to save the boy's life, takes the boy out of the country.  In response, the government puts out a criminal warrant for the family.  From the Associated Press:
The grandmother of a 5-year-old British boy with a severe brain tumor accused U.K. authorities on Monday of cruelty for seeking an arrest warrant and pursuing the family abroad after his parents removed him from a British hospital against medical advice.
Hours later, a Spanish judge ordered the parents' detention for 72 hours while a court in Madrid considers whether to grant Britain an extradition request. 
Grandmother Patricia King told the BBC it was an "absolute disgrace" that her son and daughter-in-law were accused of child neglect after they took Ashya from Southampton General Hospital last week. The family says U.K. authorities had refused to give Ashya the kind of treatment he needed. 
The family has criticized Britain's health care system, saying he needs an advanced treatment option called proton beam therapy and that it wasn't being made available to him
King's parents were arrested Sunday in southeastern Spain after a European arrest warrant was issued by Interpol at the request of British police. Their son is receiving medical treatment for a brain tumor. After his parents' arrest, he was admitted to a Spanish hospital. . . .

Labels: , ,


Blogger Confusingly Clear said...

Not the least surprised that it happened in the U.K., given that the system here has gone even further. Justina Pelletier was made a ward of Massachusetts Department of Children and Families, her parents were at first allowed only weekly supervised visitation, and her original doctors were not allowed to see her, all because some new doctors at Boston Children's Hospital (who had never seen her previously) decided to disagree with the diagnosis and treatment she was receiving from her doctors at Tufts Medical Center. It took 16 months for her family to get her back, during which time her medical condition deteriorated significantly.

9/01/2014 12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home