8/23/2008

Some whoppers of exaggerations by Biden

On Biden exaggerating his record from SanDiego.com:

Most of Mr. Biden's statement was in response to a report in this week's issue of Newsweek magazine on a tape recording made by the C-SPAN network of an appearance by Mr. Biden at a home in Claremont, N.H., on April 3. It was a typical coffee-klatch style appearance before a small group. The network regularly records and broadcasts such events as part of its coverage of the Presidential campaign.

The tape, which was made available by C-SPAN in response to a reporter's request, showed a testy exchange in response to a question about his law school record from a man identified only as ''Frank.'' Mr. Biden looked at his questioner and said: ''I think I have a much higher I.Q. than you do.''

He then went on to say that he ''went to law school on a full academic scholarship - the only one in my class to have a full academic scholarship,'' Mr. Biden said. He also said that he ''ended up in the top half'' of his class and won a prize in an international moot court competition. In college, Mr. Biden said in the appearance, he was ''the outstanding student in the political science department'' and ''graduated with three degrees from college.'' Comments on Assertions

In his statement today, Mr. Biden, who attended the Syracuse College of Law and graduated 76th in a class of 85, acknowledged: ''I did not graduate in the top half of my class at law school and my recollection of this was inacurate.''

As for receiving three degrees, Mr. Biden said: ''I graduated from the University of Delaware with a double major in history and political science. My reference to degrees at the Claremont event was intended to refer to these majors - I said 'three' and should have said 'two.' '' Mr. Biden received a single B.A. in history and political science.

''With regard to my being the outstanding student in the political science department,'' the statement went on. ''My name was put up for that award by David Ingersoll, who is still at the University of Delaware.''

In the Sunday interview, Mr. Biden said of his claim that he went to school on full academic scholarship: ''My recollection is - and I'd have to confirm this - but I don't recall paying any money to go to law school.'' Newsweek said Mr. Biden had gone to Syracuse ''on half scholarship based on financial need.'' Says He Also Received Grant

In his statement today, Mr. Biden did not directly dispute this, but said he received a scholarship from the Syracuse University College of Law ''based in part on academics'' as well as a grant from the Higher Education Scholarship Fund of the state of Delaware. He said the law school ''arranged for my first year's room and board by placing me as an assitant resident adviser in the undergraduate school.''

As for the moot court competition, Mr. Biden said he had won such a competition, with a partner, in Kingston, Ontario, on Dec. 12, 1967.

Mr. Biden acknowledged that in the testy exchange in New Hampshire, he had lost his temper. ''I exaggerate when I'm angry,'' Mr. Biden said, ''but I've never gone around telling people things that aren't true about me.'' Mr. Biden's questioner had made the query in a mild tone, but provoked an explosive response from Mr. Biden.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps someone can remember the specifics, but it seems that Biden was exposed several years ago as a plagiarist and liar. Don't remember the plagiary but he lied about his resume and degrees before.

8/23/2008 7:04 PM  
Blogger Rio Arriba said...

I'm sure that Obama's top staffers are nervous as cats about what this unfettered artillery could do to the campaign.

When will Biden tell Obama that he has a higher IQ and is just as clean?

8/23/2008 7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Note to self: When claiming intellectual brilliance, do not confuse the concept of "three" with the concept of "two". It undermines your argument.

8/23/2008 7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous: Wikipedia (note that's a snapshot that I just re-checked) lays the plagiarism out pretty well.

Now, many people are willing to give him a pass on a political speech, but it doesn't look so good when combined with his getting caught in his first year of law school lifting a law review article for a class paper, getting an F and having to retake the course.

This NYT article covering his retractions when he laid into a guy starting with "I think I have a much higher I.Q. than you do." and then blatantly lied about his academic accomplishments ... well, let's just say these two things torpedoed his first run for President in 1988.

(And as someone with a friend who genuinely got two separate degrees, I can tell you that's very different and much harder than a double major leading to one degree.)

8/24/2008 6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home