10/31/2006

"Buy A Truck, Get A Gun: Promotion Has Residents Up In Arms"

"I was disgusted with the fact that somebody would actually offer a weapon as an incentive to purchase anything let alone a car," said Hampton.

Why is it more disgusting to offer this with a car? I have no clue. My guess is that if she doesn't want the gun, the dealer will give her the cash equivalent to put forward for the car.

That's the new promotion at one Chester County auto dealership, and it has some resident's up-in arms.

They want it stopped, and similar promotions banned for good.

Anabella Hampton says the promotion goes beyond irresponsible with the Nickel Mines shooting fresh on people's minds.

"I was disgusted with the fact that somebody would actually offer a weapon as an incentive to purchase anything let alone a car," said Hampton.

Hampton fears the guns could go into the wrong hands and hopes a petition she started encourages lawmakers to ban the practice.

"This is not the direction I want my community or country to going," said Hampton.

But Country Dodge Chrysler and Jeep General Manager Gordon Atkisson says the promotion started in September and that it's to target a certain group of buyers during deer hunting season.

"Hunting is big. School is still closed in the beginning of hunting season and kids go out with their dads and it's a way of life out here," said Atkisson. . . .

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Up in arms..." Pun intended?

OldeForce

11/01/2006 1:30 AM  
Blogger John Lott said...

Yes, I am sure that you are right! I am sure that the headline editor was smiling to himself when he thought of this.

11/01/2006 1:45 AM  
Blogger Voolfie said...

I live in Philadelphia and I need a new car or truck. I had no idea that this dealership even existed, but I'm going to check them out now.

I love the law of unintended consequences.

11/01/2006 8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home