4/05/2006

Anna Benson on Guns

Anna Benson, the wife of Kris Benson of the Orioles and also well known model and former stripper, has an amazing open letter on her website. All I can say is that her statements here correspond to what my research shows people should do. This is one gutsy lady:

My dad was not a big believer in locking up guns (his valid argument is that if the guns are locked up, it will be too difficult to access them when needed... like when some deranged 200 pound man is busting through my front door). So, my dad kept guns hidden in easily accessible places, and knowing how my curiosity often got the best of me, he did not want to leave me ignorant about safe handling procedures. Thus, right or wrong, he taught me a healthy respect and fear for the firearm. He acknowledged my natural childhood curiosity and addressed it by educating me. These are some of the fondest memories that I hold from my childhood. My dad trusted my intellect and coached me during my shooting lessons. . . .


I am afraid of gun-control lobbyists. I am afraid that their skewed perceptions of safety are threatening my rights. I am an avid supporter of our Second Amendment and, consequently, my right to bear arms. My father has guns, my grandfather had guns, and even my great-grandmother had a pretty little pearl-handled .357 that she carried in her purse (and I guarantee that she would have used it to protect her ninety pound frame from threat). Even my mother carries a .38 special in her briefcase as she heads to work in downtown Atlanta due to an increased amount of carjacking and assaults in the city. And like my father, I share my enthusiasm and respect with my own children. My eight-year-old son frequently shoots with my husband at very safe and controlled ranges. I truly believe that if properly used, guns are a benefit to those who own them. . . .

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...she's a real firecracker...

With a good head on her shoulders, I am surprised she was a stripper...

4/06/2006 10:26 AM  
Blogger John Lott said...

She is very smart. I am not sure why whether she was a stripper tells us anything about how smart she is?

4/06/2006 10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh...just an oblique comment on the wisdom of choosing such a lifestyle. Admittedly, smart people do make bad decisions like anyone else...it's just that some are more egregious than others.

Good luck to the lady, I admire her spirit!

4/06/2006 3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She should know about guns. She was involved in the killing of a man in 1996 in Knoxville, Tennessee. Look it up. Her name was Anna Warren at the time.

11/24/2007 10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home